October 25, 2007

Why echo?


Yesterday, had been on a shopping spree and landed up at Mc Donald’s waiting for a pal of mine who was supposed to join me. Minutes later I get a call from her ‘I’ll be late. Please wait for me, don’t go away, please’. With no other option and not wanting to disappoint her, I had to wait.
Took out magazine which had been lying in my bag, only to while away time over the wait. As I started to open the first page, I heard someone talking aloud with an echoing impact to it, which had an English version.
Interestingly, I turned around to see where did the echo come from? There, I see two elderly men who had occupied a table across mine and were having a gala gossip.

Wanting to while off my time,and with due respect to the uncle’s I happened to overhear their conversation.(watch out for the echo in every conversation)

Uncle 1-Do you know what happened yesterday? ‘enna aachi enru theriuma unakku?’
Uncle 2 – therille
Uncle 1 – nethru nalla malai peithada…’heavy rains’
Uncle 2 – Idhva
Uncle 1 – ‘ama nethu nan market irundu veetuku nadandu vanthen’. I had to walk all the way from market
Uncle 2 –Yen? Neengal auto la vanthu irukanum
Uncle 1- ‘ama avargal varradikku sammadikkelle’.they should agree to come no
Nan thittam………..

I hear a hai and sensed a tap on my back by then. I had been involved into the conversation (fortunate enough to understand tamil in bits) so deep, that I didn’t realize my friend sitting on the chair opposite to mine.
Looking at my silence, she must have thought, I was mad at her for being late and hence ignored her the moment she arrived. I din’t want to tell her all about the fun I had been having. I had to maintain my standards you see.
I being a victim, she had to treat me with a pizza and then we finally drove home. During my ride back home, the only thing that was going on in my head was ‘What must have been Uncle 1’s plan for straightening rick-shaw wallahs?’

Deep within me I was sad, missing out the climax part…. But the echo is mutely echoing in my ears!
[The above post is in due respect to all of my Tamil speaking friends]

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

english please

m.flowerr said...

@aniket - thanks for dropping by!let me know which of the tamil verse wasn't understood? almost all of them have gotten translations in it!

Compassion Unlimitted said...

curiosity..now it would be best you complete the conversation with your fertile imagination..he he
lol
tc
cu

Devaiah A M said...

Indha Post Romba Nalla Irku Machiee..:)..

it was a nice read through.. Good One....

m.flowerr said...

@CU - haha...sure will givva try:)

m.flowerr said...

@devaiah - thanks!

Anonymous said...

lovely reading your thoughts & the moment you have portrayed....really thoughtful!

m.flowerr said...

@kalyan - thanks! keep coming:)

Al Nims Media said...

Tamil uncles will know for sure that Bangalore's autowallahs are a better lot than Chennai's nasty ones!

Nice post.

m.flowerr said...

@kishor - rightly said and thanks for dropping by....keep coming!

Aarthi said...

Me too.. very curious about the climax...

m.flowerr said...

@aarthi - :-)

Alexandra Hedberg said...

my grandfather spoke tamil. And hindi. So he would have understood . Though I speak none of them - of course: being Swedish. (My grandfather was a missionaire in India - and my father's first language was hindi...). Anyway: Nice little moment you managed to share. Your blog is getting better and better. That's what I enjoy with a good blog ... to share other's lives, and moments ... and efforts.

aMus said...

rumba nallah...this is what i learnt during my days as a student in madras and we were forced to speak the language...

and u left mc donalds to have a pizza? :))

m.flowerr said...

@about me - thanks for dropping in and for those nice words.keep coming!

m.flowerr said...

@thinking - thanks for coming.infact, pizza was the cheapest bargains i could have;)

Anonymous said...

you are on the go.. and am back..

m.flowerr said...

@chriz - welcome on blog.hope you had a great time:)